Pilates Bodyworks South Yarra offers Prenatal Pilates, Postnatal Pilates and Mums & Bubs Classes
Pregnancy can be different for every expectant mum. If you are expecting and looking for a safe form of exercise that can help you prepare for the birth of your little one, our classes are tailored to make sure you stay fit and keep up with the changes taking place in your body. We have over 10 years experience working with pregnant clients, providing them with safe modifications throughout the three trimesters.
Benefits of prenatal Pilates
- Increase deep abdominal strength, which helps support the weight of the baby and prevent diastasis recti (separation of outermost abdominal muscles)
- Improve connection to the pelvic floor muscles, which helps support the growing uterus and prevent incontinence
- Promote good posture and spinal alignment to ease the strain of a changing body
- Improve breath control
- Relieve lower-back discomfort and other pregnancy-induced aches and pains
- A quicker recovery and return to pre-pregnancy form
After you have had a baby, whether by natural delivery or caesarean section, your body requires help to become strong again. Your core muscles require particular attention and your abdominal muscles were stretched during pregnancy. You may also experience diastasis recti (separation of the outermost abdominal muscles). Your energy levels are low and you may experience back pain, wrist pain and other discomfort. A lot of women rush to do crunches and strong abdominal exercises after birth, in the hope to get their stomach flatter. What they often do not realise is they may do more harm than good in the initial postpartum period, especially if they experience diastasis recti.
Our classes are specifically designed to stabilise and strengthen your body and help you ease back into exercise safely. We help you build strength and functional control in your deepest abdominal muscle. You will be healthy and fit both physically and mentally to cope with the demands of your newborn. We understand getting your body and fitness back is important to your health and self-confidence.
Benefits of postnatal Pilates:
- Safe way to develop a flatter stomach after pregnancy
- Promote good posture while lifting and carrying your newborn
- Improve overall fitness in a safe and progressive manner suited for your labour and body
- Increase back and arm strength for bending, lifting and carrying your growing baby
- Improve pelvic floor muscle strength and recover bladder control
Mums & Bubs Classes
Every new mum hopes to get back in shape and stay fit and strong after child birth. However, taking time away from your baby is not just emotionally hard, but the opportunity to take time off to exercise can be equally hard too! Our Mums & Bubs classes have a maximum of three mums plus their babies per class (compared to the maximum of four people in a regular group class). We focus on Postnatal Pilates exercises that are safe and tailored to your recovery and needs. During the class, you can stop exercising at any time to feed or comfort your baby, and rejoin the class when you are both comfortable.
Who this is for:
- Mums from 6 weeks post-birth (with doctor's clearance) and their babies (up to crawling age)
How often do Mums & Bubs classes run:
- Every Tuesday, Thursday & Friday mid-morning