Pilates can be beneficial for virtually all ages, fitness levels and body conditions. It's more about fitness condition than age. One's chronological number doesn't necessarily limit one's movement capabilities.
With regular committed Pilates sessions you can expect to:
- Improve overall strength, flexibility and balance
- Tone and build long, lean muscles without bulk
- Develop deep abdominal muscles to support the core
- Engage the mind and enhance body awareness
- Condition efficient patterns of movement making the body less prone to injury
- Reduce stress, relieve tension, boost energy through deep stretching
- Restore postural alignment
- Create a stronger, more flexible spine
- Promote recovery from strain or injury
- Increase joint range of motion
- Offer relief from back pain and joint stress
- Correct over-training of muscle groups which can lead to stress and injury
- Enhance mobility, agility and stamina
- Compliment sports training and develop functional fitness for daily life activity
- Improve the way your body looks and feels
Benefits of Small Group & Private Pilates Sessions
There are many different types of Pilates classes available. Mat Pilates or Reformer Pilates classes are commonly offered at a gym or a Pilates center. These classes usually have large numbers and the participants often receive minimal or no correction. Everyone does the same exercises regardless of their age, fitness levels, body types or individual needs. More often than not, they do not know if they are doing the exercises the correct way.
There are several studios in Melbourne that offer small group or private Pilates. These studios use Pilates equipment such as the Trapeze Table, Stability Chair, Reformer, Spine Corrector, High Barrel, Pilates Spring Wall, etc. and other props to provide a complete Pilates experience.
The small group classes these studios offer usually have up to four participants to one instructor. This allows for close supervision and maximum correction. The exercises are often tailored to suit the individual’s specific goals and needs. Participants do not perform the same exercises throughout the entire session. They get the personalised attention and are taught the correct technique to each exercise. Because of the small class sizes, the instructors are able to modify the exercises and adjust the programs on a regular basis.
No two bodies are the same. We all have different needs and goals. We also have different body types, postures and biomechanics. Small group or private Pilates sessions allow you to learn more about your body and what Pilates truly has to offer.